Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Healthy, Happy Human Being Wears Many Masks

"the value that society places on a coherent identity is unwarranted and possibly detrimental. It means that the heterosexual must worry over homosexual leanings, the husband or wife over fantasies of infidelity, the businessman over his drunken sprees, the commune dweller over his materialism. All of us are burdened by the code of coherence, which demands that we ask: how can i be X if I am really Y, its opposite? We should ask instead: What is causing me to be X at this time? We may be justifiably concerned with tendencies that disrupt our preferred modes of living and loving; but we should not be anxious, depressed or disgusted when we find a multitude of interests, potentials and selves."

From The Healthy, Happy Human Being Wears Many Masks by Kenneth Gergen

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

From Song of Myself by Walt Whitman

No comments: