Sunday, October 11, 2009

Example of Symbols

If I say that I live in the "United States" or in "Canada," in "British Columbia" or in "New Mexico," I situate myself within a purely human set of coordinates. I say very little or nothing about the earthly place that I inhabit, but simply establish my temporary location within a shifting matrix of political, economic, and civilizational forces struggling to maintain themselves, today, largely at the expense of the animate earth. The great danger is that I, and many other good persons, may come to believe that our breathing bodies really inhabit these abstractions, and that we will lend our lives more to consolidating, defending, or bewailing the fate of these ephemeral entities other than to nurturing and defending the actual places that physically sustain us.

David Abram, Spell of the Sensuous, P 265

No comments: